Update: Word is that this offer will end on June 30th. ————————————————- Originally posted on may 4th
Barclaycard just increased the sign-up bonus from 20,000 miles to 50,000 miles on the Lufthansa Premier Miles & More World MasterCard.
- Earn 20,000 award miles after your first purchase
- Earn an additional 30,000 award miles after spending $5,000 or more in purchases in the first 90 days of opening your account
- Earn 2 award miles per $1 spent on ticket purchases directly from Miles & More integrated airline partners
- Earn 1 award mile per $1 on all other purchases
- FREE Annual Companion Ticket
- 0% APR on all purchases & Balance Transfers for the first 12 months
- $79 annual fee
The Miles & More program is the award program of Lufthansa, Swiss Airlines and Austrian Airlines.
Lufthansa is also a member of the Star Alliance Network. This means that you can redeem Lufthansa miles for flights on any of the 27 Star Alliance airlines (Lufthansa charges high fuel charges unless you are redeeming for flights on United Airlines, US Airways or LOT Polish Airlines). Additionally, you can redeem for flights on Austrian Airlines Group holiday flights, Croatia Airlines, Germanwings, and Air Dolomit.
One of the great benefits of the Miles & More program is the great promotions they constantly run. For instance, they currently have promotions from select locations in the US to many locations in europe for just 55,000 miles round trip in BUSINESS CLASS!! For example, from Dallas Texas to Oslo Norway, Budapest Hungary, Basel Switzerland, Warsaw Poland etc; for just 55,000 Miles round trip in BUSINESS CLASS!! Or you can fly round trip from NYC to Katowice, Poznan, Gdansk, Szczecin Poland etc; for just 55,00 miles in Business class or just 30,000 in economy!
After you do the initial spending on this card You’ll have 55,000 miles, enough for the above flights!! Click here for a full list of promotions and “book by” dates.
Some other great benefits of the Miles & More program are:
- You can book 1-way awards at half the price of round-trip awards.
- It costs only 35,000 miles round trip using Miles & More miles (compared to 50,000 miles United would charge) for a First Class award on United Airlines within the continental US or Canada – excluding Hawaii.
- Barring Promos, it costs 50,000 miles round trip in economy from the US to Europe on Lufthansa, Swiss or Austrian (on other Star Alliance partners it is 60,000 miles). Just bear in mind though that Miles & More charges high fuel charges when booking a reward ticket except when you are booking on United, US, or Lot Polish airlines.
- 50,000 miles is worth at the very least 2 FREE round trip tickets anywhere in the US with no fuel charges.
- 50,000 miles is also enough for a one way business class ticket to europe.
- Generally, Lufthansa and Swiss Airlines block other Star Alliance partners from accessing “some” of their First Class award seats. Lufthansa gives access to more first class award availability to members of it’s own Miles & More program. So, it may be easier to snag a first class seat on Lufthansa or Swiss airlines with these miles.
- Click Here for Lufthansa’s award chart
Additionally, If your mailing address is in Israel, the Miles & More points may very well offer the best value for mileage tickets, Tel Aviv to Europe.
Before applying for the credit card, you will need a Miles & More frequent flyer number, you can apply here.
App-O-Rama – First the bad news: There have been reports lately that when applying for more than one Barcalys cards at the same time, barclays will sometimes approve only one new card. The good news though is, that Barclays will only pull your credit once on any single day, you therefore have nothing to lose by applying for more than one Barclays credit card. You don’t even have to submit the applications at the same time, as long as it’s within the same day your good. Another tidbit of good news is, that Barclays generally pulls from the TransUnion credit bureau which is generally not used by the other big banks like Chase or Amex. It will therefore not show up as a “pull” to Chase or Amex!
Other Barclays cards with mega sign-up bonuses you might want to consider are the Barclaycard Arrival World Mastercard and The US Airways Premier World MasterCard. For a full list of all the Barclaycard credit cards Click Here
If you are denied after applying for any of these cards, you can call reconsideration at 1-866-408-4064.
Bottom Line: At the very least you will be getting at least 2 FREE economy class tickets within the continental US! Also, if you are maxed out from applying with Chase, Amex or Citi and you may want to consider this card as it is a Barclays.